Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What's On Your Nightstand? for February

So, my reading has slowed down from last year, but I am still savoring books and trying to find places to fold it into my living. Here is what I have been holding in my hands recently...

IN PROGRESS:
  • God Planted Five Seeds - This is a missionary story that takes place in Bolivia in the 1940s.  Five men who gave their lives to reach one remote people group.  You can order a copy from New Tribes Bookstore for a good price. This is my go-to book right now.
  • One Thousand Gifts - Yes, I am reading the book that everyone else is reading. I will be writing a review, but I am afraid that I may have banana peels thrown at me when I do as I am not doing the same cartwheels as everyone else seems to be. At least not so far... 
  • Missional Mom - This book reminds us how to keep our mission ever in front of us. I will be reviewing this book as well and giving 3 away, so be watching.
  • and others....
POSSIBILITIES:
A few reads for the future
  • Bonhoeffer - I have read some good reviews on this one and would like to pick it up at some point. I wondered if this would be a good audio book for the family.
  • Made to Crave - by Lysa TerKeurst
WITH MY KIDS:
FINISHED RECENTLY:
  • Reaching and Teaching - About our call not only to go and reach people but also to teach them so that they have sound doctrine and training
  • Hello, I Love You - A quick moving and enjoyable read about one couple's international adoption stories.  I wrote a review Here
What are you reading or have read recently?

The format idea came from Snapshot blog plus you can read about other's nightstands at 5 Minutes for Books.

12 comments:

Carrie said...

Yeah, I'm just starting to take note of One Thousand Gifts as it's on everyone's Nightstand this month!

I DO hope you like the Bonhoeffer bio. I thought that one was so awesome.

I picked up Made to Crave to read based on the glowing reviews and am curious to get to it (hopefully sooner than later.)

Cassandra said...

I've heard great things about Bonhoeffer. It's on my to-read list when I can find it at the library.

Have you read Beaded Hope? It's a fictional story but based on a mission trip. After reading Beaded Hope, I now want to read other mission stories. Any chance you'd have a couple suggestions? God Planted Five Seeds sounds interesting from your summary.

morninglight mama said...

Sounds like you're set for your reading this month! Enjoy!
-Dawn, 5M4B

Carrie said...

I gave my husband the Bonhoeffer book on CD (unabridged) for Christmas and he's listening to it on the way to and from work. So far he is really enjoyiing it.

Currently on my nightstand - oh my goodness, there is a STACK!!

In Process:
Kim (R. Kipling)
Who Made God? (Zacharias/Geisler)
Mansfield Park (Austen)

To Read:
La's Orchestra (McCall Smith)
The Unbearable Lightness of Scones (McCall Smith)
In a Sunburned Country (Bryson)
The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing (Hall)
The Second Death of Goodluck Tinubu (Stanley)

Yes, I like mystery/fiction! ;-) I have another stack sitting out in my living room, but These are all the next ones on my "I want to read them" list! :-)

bekahcubed said...

I'm absolutely fascinated by the title of Two Miserable Presidents--I might have to see where I can find myself a copy!

Otherwise, I'm seeing a few that the blog world seems to be all abuzz with--ones that I can't decide whether I want to read or not (Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts and TerKeurst's Made to Crave). So far, I'm leaning "No" on the former and "Yes" on the latter--but I'm still swaying :-)

Theresa said...

Those sound good. I am rereading "Womanly Dominion". In my nightstand are some of my favorites..."Overcoming Fear, Worry and Anxiety" by Elyse Fitzpatrick, "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges and The Self Confrontation Manual for BCF.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I got bogged down in 1000 Gifts, which is more a reflection of my reading habits and lack of discipline these days than anything else. It is NOT light reading, however. I'm sure I'll finish it eventually.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Nancy said...

I haven't heard of One Thousand Gifts but I'm off to look it up now!

Nancy@5minutesforbooks.com

Lindsay Blogs said...

Oh, I'm going to need to read Missional Mom. That looks awesome! As a matter of fact, I am so hungry for information right now that I just want to READ!

Cascia said...

Sounds like some great books. I don't think I have read any of them.

Trish said...

I have definitely been on the lighter side the last couple of months - everyone seems to have such deep lists! Good luck getting through your stack. :)

Jessica said...

I am currently reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan

My favorite that I just read was Reckless Faith by Beth Guckenberger. Amy, you should definitely read that one!