Friday, May 27, 2011

Praying With and For My Children

Earlier this week, my oldest son was feeling sick and as he snuggled close to me telling me about his stomach ache, he ended his sentence with, "Pray for me". 







As parents, we have the amazing ability to influence our children with our lives. My son was asking me to pray for him because it is a family habit that we have cultivated and has become naturally part of our lives. I know many of my readers can echo the very same thing, but if it is not your habit may I encourage you to be intentional in prayer.

Stop and Pray
  • When someone is sick (in your family or friends).
  • Before Meals.
  • As you prepare to travel.
  • When you see an ambulance or an accident.
  • Before homeschooling or during family devotions.
  • When someone is in trouble.
  • When someone is feeling bad or stressed.
  • Whenever something comes to mind that needs a prayer.
Our children learn from our habits and often begin to make them theirs as well.

As moms, our hearts are turned toward our children desiring the very best. I cannot think of a better mothering technique to offer you, then a few moments spent in prayer before God.
  • When I use my prayer journal, I pull one of the 31 Biblical virtues to Pray for Your Kids by Bob Hostetler and pray that into their lives.
  • I also ask God to meet them where I see they have needs (whining, hard time in school, whatever).
  • Having a virtue for the year (or sometimes for several years in a row), helps me be specific to each child's long-term needs like obedience, self-control, or courage.
  • Praying with my child(ren) when I sense a need, for example, when someone in sick, stressed, cannot sleep, or just needs a mommy moment draws our hearts together as we seek God.
  • Finally, I ask God for eyes to see anything else I need to be praying for each of my children. 
What else can we add to this list?

Amber's Articles




7 comments:

Amber said...

I am learning more and more everyday the value, importance, and effect prayer has on our children and for our children.

Thank you for opening my eyes to more opportunity to pray with and for B.

Gwen Toliver said...

Great post - yes, I think too that prayer needs to be a very integral, automatic response throughout our day. I still remember my mom praying out loud as she worked in the kitchen - I have tried to develop this habit too and setting up a prayer journal on my kitchen window sill - using a chip clip to keep the pages open as I pray from page to page is effective too.

Another thing I pray is that the Lord will convict me of anything in my life that is a hindrance to their spiritual walk. Ouch. Always very convicting for this mom!!

Ashley Pichea said...

I have that same bookmark and use it to pray for my kids as well! I love being able to take the "small" issues of everyday to the foot of the cross at any moment. :)

Lisa said...

"Hopping" over to visit from the HHH. What a wonderful post. I think sometimes we all need the reminder that we are to "pray without ceasing." Our children certainly learn from our example more than anything we can say or tell them. Have a great day!

Lizzie said...

Wonderful post, thanks for the reminder and for coming by my blog.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget a prayer of thanksgiving after eating...

Far Above Rubies said...

Excellent post. Thank you.

Prayer is a big factor in my life, so thanks for the call to continue to praying.

I usually pray for my children while cleaning their rooms or when they are sleeping as well as some of the ways you mentioned, too.

Thank you for linking up to Domestically Divine.

I have a free copy of Sarah Mae's 31 Days to Clean. If interested, please email at faraboverubies6@yahoo.com

Blessings.

Jasmine