Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Whats on Your Nightstand? for July

What's On Your Nightstand
Not only has July been crazy busy (not many blog posts even) but also becauseseveral bags came down from the home office with goodies for everyone including a fresh stack of review books to begin so some of my "In Progress" books have been moved to a "wait" pile and I just did not finish much this month in the way of reading and one of the books I did finish was horrible, one of the worst I have ever read.


IN PROGRESS:

Still working on

Started:

POSSIBILE FUTURE READS:


WITH MY KIDS: (just a few)


FINISHED THIS PAST MONTH: 

  • Pocketful of Pinecones: Nature Study With the Gentle Art of Learning : A Story for Mother Culture ® by Karen Andreola - A sweet little diary set in the 1930s/ nature study encouragement. This was a slow moving story that went nicely with afternoon tea!
  • Prep: A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld - This book was in a box of books left at my home. It was a New York Times Bestseller although I have no recollection of it.  It was interesting in the way it views the teen years from an adult perspective in a raw manner but also appalling in the worldly and shocking moments with no strong plot line carrying it along. I am not sure why I finished it and I hope deep in my heart that this is not the norm for high school students today. I would strongly not recommend it.  There is too much in it that was not worth reading for anyone.
What are you reading these days?

15 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Pocketful of Pine Cones sounds interesting!
-Dawn, 5M4B

Monica said...

Jump Off The Hormone Swing...I think I need that one!

Trish said...

Ooh, I didn't realize there was a new Angela Hunt book out - very cool!

I just finished The Book on Writing by Paula LaRocque and really liked it. Haven't written my review yet, but thought of it seeing your list.

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

It's been a while since I've read anything by Angela Hunt. I'm interested to hear about this one.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

You have a lot I've never seen.

Here is mine

OliveTree said...

Wow! You have quite a reading list there.

I'm reading "The Prodigal God" by Timothy Heller and re-reading "Walking with God" by John Eldredge.

Also "Homeschooling the Teen Years" by Cafi Cohen

Jessie said...

Is the PMS one any good because I'm um so needing that one.

Cassandra said...

I love seeing what you've been reading! In the Garden of Beasts sounds really good. If you get to it, I hope it's good!

I hope you have a great reading month!

The Dear Family said...

I have several books in process

Life, Interupted by Pricilla Shier
Adoption Parenting
The Connected Child by Karen Purvis

Do you sense a theme?

Jennifer said...

I really want to read Uncompromising.

The hormone one sounds very interesting. :)

Lisa notes... said...

I’ve heard mixed reviews on Jesus, My Father,…but I do hope to read it myself. Rip the Page sounds like a good book, as does Writing Essentials. Happy reading!

Jennifer Ekstrand said...

The 90 Day Fitness Challenge and Jump Off the Hormone Swing both look interesting. I'm waiting for my turn to get Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me from the library, but I've also heard mixed reviews on it.

Adrainne and Ben Gray said...

@The Dear Family, I really found "The Connected Child" a jewel when we had foster children last year. I used it like a reference book, however. I was surprised how well the kids responded to the suggestions in the book. We especially used the "do-over" a lot! Keep that one on your nightstand.

Create With Joy said...

Hi Amy

I'm now following you on Twitter & I noticed that you are considering moving to Wordpress! I just moved over a month ago - if you'd like more info about the transition, hosting, themes, etc, feel free to e-mail me - I plan on writing some articles about it as well as soon as I have a free moment!

My e-mail button is on my sidebar at Create With Joy!

Ramona
http://create-with-joy.com

Beth said...

I have Rip the Page waiting for me at the library.

I need to re-read Pocketful of Pinecones since nature study is something I really struggle to do.

Enjoy all your books!