Saturday, September 24, 2011

When Mom is Sick, Unschooling, and Dia de Santa Cruz

In my life this week… I was put on some hefty meds from my cold and rested much of the week. I am thankful that I do not appear to have the swine flu which has closed the local International school.

In our homeschool this week… (Week 8, sort of)
This was an unschooling week. The kids marched on with Math and a few other regulars; however, mostly they followed their interests. The highlights included bringing a baby chick home (named Chirp or Tweetie depending whom you ask), going to the Expo with Dad, counting rings on a tree that was recently cut down, child directed and led reading and crafts, listening to lots of books on tape, and a participating in a program for Dia de Santa Cruz.  I really like that learning does not stop even when mom has to rest.

My favorite thing this week was…
317464_2357903354359_1453509604_2659299_607890651_n
Watching my kids immediately start counting the rings on a tree that they saw which was recently cut down. My son counted 30 years which was how long ago, we were told, it was planted. Tree rings came up in our readings last week, so it was cool to be able to actually have some to count ourselves.

What’s working/not working for us…
Being sick is not working for me. I need my energy back!

A photo to share…
September 2011 003
Each pair is wearing typical clothing from different areas of the Santa Cruz department of Bolivia.
This was at the program for Santa Cruz Day. My daughter participated in a dance.

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

9 comments:

olivetreeingodshouse said...

Hi Amy, 
Sorry to hear you've been sick!  So glad you could transition to unschooling and let the kids work on their own.  I'm going to keep that in mind for my crises as well!  Hope you're better soon.

Mary said...

I do hope you get to feeling better.  I know those weeks can be LONG and HARD.    I like your unschooling in this post - we are doing more of this and it is my goal to go even further with it!  

Again - feel better, mom!

Annie Kate Aarnoutse said...

Being sick is no fun, but sometimes it leads to wonderful moments like the unschooling you did this past week.  What a blessing that can be!  I was sick for several years, and the kids were very independent, also doing a lot of unschooling learning.

I hope you soon feel better!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!  I enjoyed looking around your blog and like your fall booklist.  :)  So now I'm your latest follower....

Annie Kate

Annie Kate Aarnoutse said...

Oops.  I forgot that Disqus has issues with my address.  Here is where I 'live' http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/

MissionalMama said...

Thanks so much!  I am finally feeling more like myself!  It is nice to know that the kids can do a lot of learning without my help at all.  Thanks for reading!  I'm glad to be getting to know you as well.

MissionalMama said...

Thanks for coming by!  I look forward to following you as well. 

MissionalMama said...

The kids can really be inspired to do some amazing things when we let go a little.  I always say I am a classical unschooler as I see the merits of both. :)  This year we are a little more Charlotte Mason though.

PrairieJenn said...

Your busy and fun week is just proof that unschooling works:)  Thanks for sharing! Hope you are feeling better now.

MissionalMama said...

I am, thanks!