Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jump off the Hormone Swing by Lorraine Pintus {Book Review}

86961116
In Jump Off the Hormone Swing, Lorraine Pintus shares openly about the inner tension a woman can feel at certain times of the month between wanting to love her neighbor on one hand, and wanting to strangle her and shoot her ugly dog on the other. While many books discuss the physical and emotional symptoms of hormones, this is the first to explore in depth the spiritual aspects. Jump! is a mentoring book, not a medical book.  The focus is on attitude, not anatomy. Lorraine shares insights from her own journey as well as wisdom from 1,500 women she surveyed. Sound biblical wisdom is laced with humor because after all, when it comes to hormones, you either have to laugh or cry, and laughing is better!
Get answers to these questions:

· What is the number one thing I can do to feel better physically?
· How does PMS and perimenopause affect me spiritually?
· Which foods ease PMS symptoms...which make them worse?
· How do hormones affect my brain?
· Why does stress make my PMS worse and what can I do about it?
· Are there benefits to PMS and perimenopause? (you'll discover 10!!)
· How can God possibly love me when I hate myself?
Includes a 10-week study for individual and group use.

* from Moody Publishers


My Thoughts

All women deal with issues related to hormones at some point. Loarraine Pintus takes this tough topic and breaks it down into a very readable and helpful book.  Not only is it informative but it is also practical with tips and ideas to help one through the seasons of being a women tackling physical, mental, and spiritual symptoms that occur.

I plan to keep this book around to remind myself of the helpful tips like the ten “brain foods” listed on page 56 or the ways to manage stress that are found in pages 117 –126. I also might reread much of the book and follow along with the videos I just noticed were listed in the Bible Study section towards the end. This section lists questions and points to online videos which could be a nice addition to the information.

I would easily recommend this book to any of the women in my life. It is a great starting point for dealing with female issues and a jumping off point towards discussion and further research. 

This book was given to me by Moody Publishers in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to write a positive review.

1 comment:

java diva said...

Thx for the review! I will have to read this book. Intrigued what the brain foods could be. And it would be nice to have some spiritual guidance when I hate myself bc of overwhelming negative feelings & thoughts during PMS.