Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What's On Your Nightstand? for Dec 2012/ Jan 2013

What's On Your NightstandWow, so we are already well into January and thus starting off 2013 with a bang! I am determined to get back into reading at a brisker pace then happened this past fall. There are so many books that I want to read and to get to them, I need to finish my current pile. 

One of my goals this year is to abandon books that I am not enjoying or wait if it is not the right time. There are too many greats to suffer through reads that are not helpful, practical, or enjoyable. That does not mean I will love every book. I do force myself through some books simply because I want to know the information. I am sure that I will do this still, but perhaps with a smarter tilt towards what is best for my time, schedule, and needs.

So here is where I stood the past two months. The first book is all the was finished in December.

Finished since the last update:
  • One Million Arrows by Julie Ferwerda {Fresh inspiration to raise kids who dires to serve God and have a heart for the world. $3.99 on Kindle.}
  • The Fiddler by Beverly Lewis {Review to come}
  • The Cooking Caveman: How to Lose Weight, Eat Healthy, Create Mouthwatering Paleo Recipes, and Piss Off All Your Friends! by Jeff Nimoy {This was free on Kindle when I downloaded it and since it was about Paleo, I was interested. I did learn some new things and recipe inspiration, but be aware that you have to weed through some language.}

  • Eats, Shoots, & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss {Making punctuation funny while reminding us of the basics. Worth reading}

Presently Reading:
  • Insurgent by Veronica Roth
  • Cleaning House by Kay Wills Wyma
So, what are you reading?

9 comments:

Nancy@5M4B said...

I long ago decided there are too many books, and so little time, to finish a book that I don't like. I hope it works out well for you! I've had Eats, Shoots, & Leaves on my TBR list for a long time.

Jennifer Donovan said...

I hope you like Cleaning House! I should read it again. And yay for abandoning books! I do it for all sorts of reasons now -- either content that I don't like or just that it's not moving along. There are too many good books to waste time on so-so ones.

I had a hard time figuring out how to leave a comment. It only worked when I clicked on the time stamp (just FYI)

olivetreeingodshouse said...

Abandoning books is a great idea to me too. Michael Hyatt says that the only way he's able to read so many books is that he doesn't obligate himself to finish every single one!!! I'm reading "Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton and "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teenagers."

Sharon R Hoover said...

Just finished "Kisses from Katie" (awesome read!) and am reading the Insurgent/Divergent series, also. So delighted to find your blog, Amy! I look forward to your posts!

Mandi @ Life...Your Way said...

Just added Cleaning House to my wishlist as well!

MissionalMama said...

Thanks for stopping by. I just took a look at your blog and will look forward to taking some more time to look around and esp. to check out your booklist! Blessings to you!

MissionalMama said...

I am actually not very good at it. I always think that I made it this far, I might as well finish it! Ha!

MissionalMama said...

I agree, too many good books waiting to be read!
I hope that I have the issue worked out on the comment, so next time it will be easier for you!

MissionalMama said...

It is a pretty snarky, funny little book. I think you will like it!