Thursday, February 7, 2013

With All Your Heart



“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”
~ Colossians 3:23 NIV84
 
Isn't this what we want our kids to learn? Isn't this what we need to model, practice, and (ahem!) learn ourselves? How do we work this verse into our real lives?
 
Simply put, all that is in our day we do for the Lord. For me this often mean laundry, dishes, meals, organizing, directing my kids, having interruptions, teaching, studying, and many other things that are not that exciting.

Because we live in South America, it often means changing plans quickly too. For example, Monday afternoon we learned we had an important meeting for leaders at church that evening. I need to be ready for the unexpected with my heart willing to serve.

This reminds me of my word for 2013  which is PRESENT. If I try to keep my mind focused on being intentionally present in all activities, it will be a reminder to do each thing well, "as unto the Lord". Meanwhile, I may need to post Col 3:23 in a couple places because I know how quickly I forget!


What about you? How can you put into practice Col. 3:23 today?
 
This post is linked to the Let. It. Go. Blog Hop over at Melissa Taylor's blog. The Let. It. Go. study is about letting go of control. Be sure to check it out!
 
 
 


4 comments:

Kristy Aiken said...

Amy,

First of all I love your blog and it is so pretty here :-)

What a great topic! This week's memory verse really hit home for me. I have posted a lot about this. We are to do everything with deep respect to The Lord. Whatever we do we should do with all of our hearts and not grudgingly. It is The Lord we are serving when we make dinner, turn in reports, make phone calls, and clean. its easy for me to forget that the final "payday" is coming from The Lord! We should work even when no one is watching. thank you, Amy, for the reminder that I need to focus on doing my best this week and not complaining while I tiredly make dinner or fold laundry.

Love your post about PRESENT. I tend to worry about the future too much about the what ifs of tomorrow and I need to stop and just lean on God for today!

Karen Ehman said...

Amy,

Thank you SO MUCH for participating in the blog hop. Praying for all of us as we learn to stop trying to control and start trusting God. Have a great weekend and remember to LET. IT. GO. :-)

{Hugs} Karen Ehman

marilyn said...

Love your post especially about being ready for whatever and for changes that may interrupt our day and plans , to live in the now and let God be in control of the now and the future. Stop worrying about the what if and trust God with it. Thanks for sharing.

Kayleen Mickelson said...

I have just been memorizing this verse! Miss you friend!